The Everyman Theatre
Box Office: 01242 572573
The Opera House in Cheltenham’s Regent Street opened on 1st October 1891 with a performance of Lady Clancarty starring Lillie Langtry. The theatre was designed by one of the greatest theatre architects of all times, Frank Matcham, who designed nearly 200 theatres in Great Britain including the London Palladium. Over the next seventy years The Opera House was to play host to some of the greatest names in British theatre and variety.
The theatre survived imminent closure in 1959 to rise from the ashes as the re-named Everyman Theatre in 1960. For the next 35 years it was the home of repertory, nurturing such talents as Steven Berkoff, Josephine Tewson, William Gaunt and Penelope Keith.
When the rep ended in 1995 the theatre reverted to being a venue for touring shows and has presented some of the best pre and post West End plays and musicals ever since.