The Old Rep, built in 1913, was built as a permanent home for distinguished theatre director Barry Jackson’s Birmingham Repertory Theatre Company. It was the first purpose-built repertory theatre in the UK.
Construction on the Old Rep began in October 1912. Built day and night for four months, it was opened on 15 February 1913 with a performance of Shakespeare’s Twelfth Night, preceded by a reading by Barry Jackson, of the poem ‘The Mighty Line’, by John Drinkwater. Many of the current features are original from the theatre’s first opening, which gives this venue a wonderful sense of authenticity.
A blue plaque dedicated to our founder Sir Barry Jackson can be seen on the front of the Old Rep, high above the entrance.
The theatre is built on a small site between Station Street and Hinckley Street (Birmingham) necessitating a steeply raked auditorium which exists to this day, giving every seat in the house an excellent view of the stage.
The Old Rep Theatre,
Birmingham B5 4DY
Ticket Office: 0121 359 9444